Wachau Valley - Grape Grazing Winery Bike Tour
Discover the most beautiful section of the Blue Danube on this fun one-day excursion of biking and wine tasting in Austria’s most beautiful valley! Imagine a glorious day of wine tasting, while leisurely biking through the country’s most famous wine-making region and cultural heritage, voted the Best Historic Destination in the World in 2008.
Renowned for its quality wines, stunning villages and picturesque landscape, the Wachau Valley is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxed day away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Arrive by train, hop on your bike and start exploring with us.
Breathe in the fresh country air and take in the spectacular scenery as you ride through historic, charming cobblestone villages. Stopping at local wineries, you’ll taste a variety of wines as well as other delicacies, such as the region’s famed apricot jams and liqueurs. In your allocated free time, explore the UNESCO world heritage site of Dürnstein, a well-known medieval town in the Wachau, overlooked by the ruins of the Kuenringer castle where King Richard Lionheart was imprisoned in 1192. Then enjoy a BBQ lunch at a local family-run winery. After lunch, relax by the Danube, go for a swim or enjoy a game of beach volleyball.
Our Grape Grazing Winery Bicycle Tour is the perfect choice for those looking for a unique wine tasting experience that combines breathtaking scenery, fun, wine and culture to give you an unforgettable experience.
- Enjoy a bicycle day trip through the Wachau Valley in our small group tailored to ensure a fun and personal experience
- Explore the UNESCO world heritage site of Dürnstein, hike up to the castle ruins where King Richard Lionheart was once imprisoned.
- Learn about the region’s fascinating history and culture from your friendly, knowledgeable guide, while enjoying the picturesque scenery
- Visit local wineries and master the techniques of wine tasting in a laid-back environment
- Sample locally-made delicacies: jams and liqueurs and much more
- Indulge in a BBQ lunch at a local family-run winery
- Swim in the Danube River or play a game of beach volleyball
- Enjoy a glass of wine on the journey back to Vienna
The Bike Ride
The Grape Grazing Winery Bicycle Tour is 20-25 km long, biking at a very leisurely pace. It is suitable for all ages, consisting of a mainly flat ride with few small inclines leading up through small villages. We stop frequently throughout the tour, with the longest non-stop biking section being 20 minutes. Join us for a fun and informative ride you’ll be glad to have been part of! Weather: A note on the weather, chances of a shower are possible in Austria: if this occurs, you have two choices as we see it; you could miss out on a day of fun and culture by hiding in your hotel room, or put on a jacket and join us on the tour!
Spittelau train and underground station
Your tour guide will be waiting in front of Ströck bakery located in the main foyer of the station. Your guide will be holding a sign saying“Grape Escape”
Things to bring
Camera (don’t forget to charge your battery!)
Dress casually and wear comfortable shoes for a relaxed day of biking
Money for lunch and souvenirs
- Transport to and from Vienna
- Ferry ride across the River Danube
- Wine tastings at all wineries
- Sampling of locally-made jam and liqueurs
- Bicycle rental, helmets and rain ponchos
- Full-day accompanied by guide
- Optional Lunch at local winery
Enjoy a tasty marinated steak, bratwurst sausages served with Austrian style potato salad, bread rolls and a shot of schnapps. Vegetarian option: Enjoy the homemade vegetable patties served with Austrian style potato salad, bread rolls and a shot of schnapps. For specific meal requests, please contact us in advance. It is also possible to bring your own lunch. Lunch: €8.50 per person (includes the meal and a shot of schnapps)
- Gratuities for your guide are appreciated
Cancellations more then a week in advance only administration costs of 15%
Cancellation between a week and 48 hours prior to departure date: 50% of the total amount
Cancellation less than 48 hours prior to departure date: 100% of the total amount
No show: no restitution
Prices, times and itineraries are subject to change without prior notice.
To book this tour please click on the calendar on the right.