Hidden Wachau - Small Group Day Trip Through the Wachau Valley
Discover the most beautiful section of the Danube Valley on a small-group tour designed to give you an in-depth view of its unique charms. The true allure of the Wachau is fully revealed once you travel beyond the main streets onto the smaller country roads, and only we can take you there—off the beaten track. In our 8-seater Mercedes minivan we’ll drive you through the region’s narrow back streets and the even-narrower wine paths that the larger tour buses simply cannot maneuver. You’ll explore quiet, historic towns, charming villages and spectacular scenery.
Accompanied by your expert driver/guide, you’ll see the whole of the Wachau Valley while learning about its fascinating culture and history. Besides the highlights, you’ll break away from the crowds to also see the more authentic and off-the-beaten-track landscapes. And go even farther afield to visit a rustic wine cave with a 450-year-old wine press set high in the steep slopes of the vineyards. (This visit is exclusive and not open to the general public). Also nearby, you can visit the oldest church in the valley, dating back to the year 987.
You’ll sample a bit of local wine as well as some other delicacies like the valley’s famed apricot jams and liqueurs. During free time, explore the medieval town of Dürnstein, a well-known Wachau highlight, overlooked by a castle where Richard the Lionheart was once held prisoner. Then enjoy lunch in a Heuriger, a traditional family-run Austrian wine tavern.
Highlights of a tour (program differs in summer and winter slightly)
- Day trip from Vienna to the Wachau Valley accompanied by an expert driver/guide
- Intimate group setting (8 people maximum!)
- Explore country villages and back roads that other tours simply cannot reach
- Relax on a sixty-minute Danube boat cruise from Spitz to Melk (Available from May 1st to September 30th only).
- Photo stop at Melk Abbey
- Sample local specialties such as schnapps and apricot jam
- Spend free time in stunning Dürnstein
- Enjoy lunch in a typical Wachau wine tavern
- Visit a family run vinery, hidden within the hills of the valley.
Winter program inclusions:
Wine tasting at Domäne Wachau – 5 x wines.
Free time in Dürnstein and possible chocolate, jam, liqueur and schnapps tasting. The tasting will only take place when the shop is open..
Melk Abbey – One hour guided tour of the interior of Melk Abbey.
Winter program exclusions:
Lunch at Local wine tavern or restaurant (Not included). Lunch prices are from €10 to €25
Franz-Josefs-Kai 45, 1010 Wien
*Check in at the location at least 15 minutes before departure time*
Things to bring
- Printed voucher
- Camera (don’t forget to charge your battery)
- Warm clothing in case of cold weather. (The wine cave is cold even in summer.)
- Good walking shoes for dirt roads and uneven paths
- Casual and comfortable dress for a relaxed day of wine tasting
- Transport in 8-seater Mercedes van
- Full-day accompaniment by an expert driver/guide
- Local specialty tasting
- 60-min boat ride from Spitz to Melk (Available from May 1st to September 30th only).
- Lunch and drinks
- Gratuities for your driver/guide
Cancellations more then a week in advance only administration costs of 10%
Cancellation between a week and 48 hours prior to departure date: 50% of the total amount
Cancellation less than 48 hours prior to departure date : 100% of the total amount
No show: no restitution
Book early: only 8 seats available per tour. We sell out quickly!
Tour operates in all weather conditions
The Danube river cruise will operate until the 29th September. After this, in place of the boat we will offer a one hour guided tour of Melk Abbey.
The Danube river cruise for 2014 is available from the 1st may until the 5th October.